Derick G. Brown, PhD, PE, BCEE
Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering and Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education
P.C. Rossin College of Engineering & Applied Science
Associate Dean Office:
19 Memorial Drive West
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18015
Research Office and Laboratory:
STEPS Building, Room 346
1 West Packer Avenue
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18015
- PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Princeton University, 2000.
- MA, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Princeton University, 1996
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 1992
- BS, Aerospace Engineering, Boston University, 1986
- Professional Engineer, State of Pennsylvania
- Professional Engineer, State of California
- Board Certified Environmental Engineer, American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists
Research and Work Experience
- Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education, P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science (2023-Present)
- Professor, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Lehigh University (2018-Present)
- Associate Chair, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Lehigh University (2015-2023)
- Co-Director, Environmental Initiative, Lehigh University (2010-2018)
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Lehigh University (2007-2018)
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Lehigh University (2001-2007)
- Research Associate, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Princeton University (2000-2001)
- Research Assistant, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Princeton University (1994-2000)
- Technical Consultant, McDonnell Douglas Space Systems Company (1994)
- Senior Project Engr., Multimedia Environmental Technology, Inc. (1993-1994)
- Technical Specialist, McDonnell Douglas Space Systems Company (1986-1993)
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of Eugene Mercy, Jr. President and Provost’s Fund for Faculty Development, Lehigh University, 2014 and 2017.
- P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science Teaching Excellence Award, Lehigh University, 2011.
- Class of 1961 Associate Professorship, Lehigh University, 2009-2011.
- Frank S. Hook Assistant Professorship, Lehigh University, 2004-2006.
- The Lehigh Engineering Ingenuity Award for Exceptional Accomplishment in Teaching and/or Research for Junior Faculty, 2004.
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2002.
- P.C. Rossin Assistant Professorship, Lehigh University, 2001-2003.
- Princeton Environmental Institute Research Initiative in Science and Engineering Fellowship, 1997.
- McDonnell Douglas Space Systems Company’s General Manager’s Award, 1989.
- McDonnell Douglas Independent Research and Development Awards, 1989 & 1991
Affiliated Programs at Lehigh
- Department of Bioengineering
- Institute for Functional Materials and Devices
- Institute for Cyber Physical Infrastructure and Energy
Professional Society Memberships
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Member
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP)
- International Society for Subsurface Microbiology (ISSM)
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society (TBP)
- US Research Software Engineer Association (US-RSE)
- WEF Research and Innovation Committee (2018-2020)
- AEESP Publications Committee (2016-2020).
- PWEA Research Committee (2014-2020).
- EPA Science Advisory Board, Environmental Engineering Committee (2015-2018).
- ASTM Committee D18, Soil and Rock (2013-2017).
- ASTM Committee D19, Water (2013-2017).
- “In-situ, self-adjusting stability control of methane-producing anaerobic biological reactors through novel use of ion exchange fibers.” US Patent No. 10,399,877. Filed 25 September 2017. Issued 3 September 2019. Assignee: Lehigh University. Inventors: Arup K. SenGupta, Derick G. Brown, and Yu Tian.
- “Method and Apparatus for Characterizing Coal Tar in Soil.” US Patent No 7,393,689. Filed 27 January 2004. Issued 1 July 2008. Assignee: Lehigh University. Inventors: Horace K. Moo-Young, Derick G. Brown and Andrew J. Coleman.
Journal Peer Review
- Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Applied Surface Science
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering
- Chemical Geology
- Colloids and Surfaces A: Physiochemical and Engineering Aspects
- Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces
- Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology
- Current Opinion in Colloid & Interface Science
- Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety
- Energy and Fuels
- Environmental Chemistry Letters
- Environmental Engineering & Science
- Environmental Microbiology
- Environmental Science and Research Pollution
- Environmental Science & Technology
- Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry
- Ground Water
- International Journal of Soil, Sediment and Water
- Journal of Applied Mechanics
- Journal of Biotechnology
- Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology
- Journal of Contaminant Hydrology
- Journal of Environmental Engineering
- Journal of Hazardous Materials
- Journal of Hydrologic Engineering
- Journal of Hydrology
- Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering
- Journal of Microbiological Methods
- Marine Georesources & Geotechnology
- Separation Science and Technology
- Water Environment Research
- Water Quality Research Journal of Canada
- Water Research
- Water Resources Research