My research interests focus at the interface of physical, chemical and biological processes and incorporate both experimentation and modeling. Recent research areas include interactions between microorganisms and surfaces, focusing on how adhesion under charge-regulated conditions affects microbial and physiochemical processes; microbial kinetics in natural and engineered systems, with application to bioremediation of environmental contaminants and energy recovery from organic waste streams; and microbial attachment and transport through porous media, focusing on attachment and transport of microorganisms through both saturated and unsaturated porous media and how solution chemistry affects these processes. I also have research interests in bioinspired materials, and have collaborated on microbial processes to strengthen soils.
- Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
- P.C. Rossin College of Engineering & Applied Science
- Lehigh University
News from my research group:
- Wind Erosion Mitigation Using Microbial-Induced Carbonate PrecipitationOur paper titled “Wind erosion mitigation using microbial-induced carbonate precipitation” has been published in the Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. CITATION Gao K., Bick P., Suleiman M.T., Xiwei Li, Helm J., Brown D.G., and Zouari N. 2023. “Wind Erosion … Read more
- Shear and Tensile Strength Measurement of CaCO3 Cemented Bond Between Glass Beads Treated by Microbially Induced Calcite Precipitation (MICP)Our paper titled “Shear and Tensile Strength Measurement of CaCO3 Cemented Bond Between Glass Beads Treated by Microbially Induced Calcite Precipitation (MICP)” has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. Citation Gao K., Lin H., Suleiman … Read more
- Welcome to new members of our research group!We have four new members to our research group this year. They are Pan Ni (Post-doctoral researcher), Xinkai Wu (graduate student), Zhongyu Shi (graduate student), and Zizheng Luo (graduate student). Welcome to the group!
- Effects of Enzyme and Microbially Induced Carbonate Precipitation on Pervious Concrete PilesOur paper titled “Effects of Enzyme and Microbially Induced Carbonate Precipitation Treatments on the Response of Axially Loaded Pervious Concrete Piles” has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. Citation Lin, H., O’Donnell, S.T., Suleiman, … Read more
- Stiffness and Permeability of Sands Treated by Microbially Induced Carbonate Precipitation (MICP)Our paper on pore-scale distributions of CaCO3 during microbially-induced carbonate precipitation and their effects on sand permeability and stiffness has been accepted for publication in Soils and Foundations. Citation Lin, H., Suleiman, M.T. and Brown, D.G. 2020. “Investigation of Pore-Scale … Read more
- Characterization and modeling of charge-regulated surfacesOur paper on a method for obtaining parameters to allow charge-regulation modeling of natural and undefined surfaces has been accepted for publication in Langmuir. Citation Brown, D.G., Zhu, H., Albert, L.S., Fox, J.T. 2019. “Rapid characterization and modeling of natural … Read more
- Our patent for stabilizing anaerobic digestors to upset has been issuedIn-situ, self-adjusting stability control of methane-producing anaerobic biological reactors through novel use of ion exchange fibers. U.S. Patent No.10,399,877. Filed 25 September 2017, Issued 3 September 2019. Assignee:Lehigh University. Inventors: Arup K . SenGupta, Derick G. Brown, and Yu Tian. … Read more
- Congratulations to our new Environmental Engineering Ph.D.s!Congratulations to Chelsey Shepsko and Hang Dong for earning their Ph.D.’s in 2019! Chelsey Shepsko Dissertation: “Advancement of the Hybrid Ion Exchange Nitrogen and Phosphate (HIX-NP) Recovery from Waste Water and a New Approach to Brine-Free Nitrate Removal” Hang Dong … Read more